Mango Tempeh Lettuce Wraps - a simple vegan recipe featuring flavorful tempeh, chili lime mango and carrots all wrapped up in crunchy lettuce. Perfect for meal prep or a simple weeknight meal.
What is Tempeh?
Originally from Indonesia, tempeh is a soy product that is made by fermenting cooked soybeans and other grains, which are then formed into a dense cake. It has a naturally nutty flavor, and easily absorbs other flavors. The texture is somewhat dry, firm and chewy.
Being that tempeh is fermented, it also contains beneficial probiotic bacteria, among other health benefits.
Hi there! Below you’ll find affiliate links to great products that we enjoy using in our own kitchen.
This excellent plant-based protein comes with added benefits
- Can help lower cholesterol - contains natural plant compounds called isoflavones
- Supports bone health - a good source of calcium
- Can help balance blood sugar - high in fiber, pre- and probiotic bacteria
- Has potential anti-cancer properties - antioxidants can help reduce oxidative stress
- Also a great source of muscle-building protein (about 21 grams per 4-oz. serving)
And of course the benefits don’t end there. Tempeh is rich in many vitamins and minerals, like copper, manganese and phosphorus.
Tempeh isn’t as well-known or as popular as tofu, so I have just the recipe to get you hooked on it. Mango Tempeh Lettuce Wraps. They come together in under 45 minutes and are packed with fresh and flavorful chili mango, marinated tempeh and carrots all wrapped up in crunchy lettuce. It’s vegan, gluten-free and the perfect weeknight meal that’s also great for meal prep.
Ready to make these simple Mango Tempeh Lettuce Wraps? Let’s go!
1 - Marinate the tempeh. In a large bowl, combine sesame oil, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, garlic and ginger. Add tempeh and let marinate while you’re prepping the other ingredients - at least 10 minutes.
2 - Prep remaining ingredients. Peel and dice the mango (the mango has a big pit in the middle so make sure to cut around it), shred the carrots (I find it easiest and fastest to use the shredding blade on my food processor), wash and dry the lettuce.
3 - Cook the tempeh. Heat a medium skillet (I like to use my cast-iron skillet), add oil and marinated tempeh and cook until tempeh is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
4 - Prepare mango. While the tempeh cooks, combine the lime juice, diced mango, and chili powder in a small bowl.
5 - Make sauce. Combine soy sauce (or soy sauce alternative) and chili garlic sauce in a small bowl.
6 - Assemble wraps. Set out lettuce leaves, add cooked tempeh, chili lime mango, and shredded carrots. Garnish with sliced green onions, cashew, cilantro and a drizzle of the garlic chili sauce. Enjoy!
Mango Tempeh Lettuce Wraps: Tips, Tricks and Tools
Picking a ripe mango. You definitely want a sweet, ripe mango. Look for a mango that gives a little when you squeeze it. Similar to determining the ripeness for avocado, you want it to give a little, but you don’t want it to be super squishy.
We hope you love these flavorful Mango Tempeh Lettuce Wraps!
- Ready in under 45 minutes
- Perfect for a weeknight meal or meal prep
- Vegan and full of plant-based protein and lots of veggies
Did you enjoy these Mango Tempeh Lettuce Wraps as much as we do?
Comment below! And rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out! Not cooking them today? Save this Mango Tempeh Lettuce Wraps for later by pinning it to your Vegan Dinner Recipes Board and make sure to tag us at The Crooked Carrot Instagram to show us your Mango Tempeh Lettuce Wrap creations!
"The whole idea of motivation is a trap. Forget motivation. Just do it. Exercise, lose weight, test your blood sugar, or whatever. Do it without motivation. And then, guess what? After you start doing the thing, that's when the motivation comes and makes it easy for you to keep on doing it." - John Maxwell
Mango Tempeh Lettuce Wraps
- 2 (8 ounce) packages tempeh cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce or alternative
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1-inch knob ginger grated
- ½ tablespoon chili garlic sauce or ¼-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 mangoes diced
- ½ lime juiced
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 3 carrots shredded
- 1 head lettuce leaves intact, washed and dried
- green onions for garnish
- cashews for garnish
- cilantro for garnish
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or alternative
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- Marinate tempeh: Mix sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, chili garlic sauce (and/or red pepper flakes) in a large bowl. Add tempeh and let marinate at least 10 minutes (or while prepping other ingredients).
- Cook tempeh: Add olive oil to medium skillet, cook tempeh until browned (about 30 minutes).
- Prepare mango: While tempeh cooks, put mango in medium bowl, add lime and chili powder, stir until coated.
- Make sauce: Combine soy sauce (or alternative) and chili garlic sauce in a small bowl.
- Assemble: Put lettuce leaves on plate, add tempeh, carrots, mango, green onions, cashews, cilantro and drizzle with sauce. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Some of the links above are affiliate links. This means that should you purchase something through the link, The Crooked Carrot will receive a small commission. The item cost remains the same regardless of whether you purchase through our link or not. Any commission earned simply helps us continue to provide all our great content to you. From seasonal recipes to simple nutrition insights & sustainable zero waste tips, we have lots more to give!