Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup - A spicy and creamy soup recipe featuring pureed carrots, ginger root, coconut milk and turmeric. A fall favorite!
A creamy carrot soup just screams fall. It’s warm, cozy and super good. But I wanted to kick it up a notch and give this simple carrot soup some extra zing! So we added loads of ginger, turmeric, coriander and cayenne, and made it vegan by using coconut milk.
This Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup will warm up any cool fall day. It’s simple and very flavorful. It’s great for meal prep and can be frozen and enjoyed later. Not to mention it’s vegan and gluten-free.
Hi there! Below you’ll find affiliate links to great products that we enjoy using in our own kitchen.
Ready to make this Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup? Let’s go!
1 - Prep. Dice onions, mince garlic, grate ginger, chop carrots and potatoes.
2 - Saute. Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add coconut oil, and once the coconut oil is liquid, add onions and saute until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Then add garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Then add carrots and potatoes. Cover and cook, stirring often until the carrots and potatoes are soft, 40-45 minutes.
3 - Boil. Once the vegetables are soft, add the spices and broth, bring to a boil. You want the broth to be hot.
4 - Puree. Remove the soup from heat and puree it with an immersion blender. Alternatively, you can transfer it to a blender - blend in batches as hot liquid expands as you blend it. Be sure not to overfill the blender. And make sure to hold the lid down tight with a towel. Return to pot after pureeing.
5 - Reheat. Return the pot to the stovetop and add coconut milk. Stir to combine, until the soup is thoroughly heated. Adjust seasonings as desired.
6 - Serve: Garnish with mint leaves, pepitas and a sprinkle of lemon juice. We typically enjoy it with a slice of fresh bread!
Carrot Ginger Soup: Tips, Tricks and Tools
Tools: Large pot or dutch oven, immersion blender or regular blender, a sharp knife.
Meal prep: Prepare this soup in advance for a quick, nutrient-packed soup that just needs to be reheated. I like to make a big batch of this over the weekend and enjoy it throughout the week. Or freeze it for a later date, just thaw and reheat for a quick meal!
Responsible ingredients: Aside from purchasing organic and local ingredients when possible, I also love to use homemade stock for this soup.
We hope you love this Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup!
- Perfect for a cool fall evening
- Vegan, gluten-free and packed with nutrients
- Great for serving large groups
Craving more seasonal soup recipe? Check out our other delicious Seasonal Soup recipes like this Lemongrass Butternut Squash Soup or our Vegetable Minestrone Soup.
Did you enjoy this Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup as much as we do?
Comment below! And rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out! Not cooking it today? Save this Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup for later by pinning it to your Soups and Stews Recipes Board and make sure to tag us at The Crooked Carrot Instagram to show us your Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup creations!
Carrot Ginger Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1-inch knob ginger grated
- 5 cups carrots (8 medium) washed, roughly chopped, peeling on
- 1 potato (medium) washed, diced, peeling on
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper depending on your desired level of spice
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- salt + pepper to taste
- 3 cups broth vegetable or chicken
- 1 13.6 ounce can coconut milk
- mint leaves for garnish
- pepitas for garnish
- lemon juice a sprinkle for garnish
- Sauté: Heat large pot or dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add coconut oil, once hot, add onions and cook for about 10 minutes or until translucent. Then add garlic and ginger, sauté for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add potato, carrots and spices. Cover and cook for about 40-45 minutes or until potato and carrots are soft.
- Boil: Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Puree: Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender (for a regular blender, blend in batches). Be sure not to overfill blender and make sure to hold the lid down tight with a towel! Return to pot after pureeing.
- Heat it up: Return to heat and add coconut milk, stirring to combine, just until the soup is thoroughly heated. Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve: Garnish with mint leaves, pepitas and a sprinkle of lemon juice. We like it with a slice of fresh bread!
Disclaimer: Some of the links above are affiliate links. This means that should you purchase something through the link, The Crooked Carrot will receive a small commission. The item cost remains the same regardless of whether you purchase through our link or not. Any commission earned simply helps us continue to provide all our great content to you. From seasonal recipes to simple nutrition insights & sustainable zero waste tips, we have lots more to give!
Leave a Reply