Italian Kale and White Bean Soup - a hearty & seasonal homemade soup recipe that’s ready in under an hour and is perfect for meal prep. A delicious early fall soup recipe.
The temperatures are starting to drop and the leaves are becoming a beautiful shimmering yellow. That means it’s soup season and honestly, I’m thrilled! The fall season is a personal favorite. The changing leaves, wonderful fall smells, and all the great fall foods.
Think fall veggies like carrots, but there’s still a window of opportunity to use up summer veggies like tomatoes and kale. Homemade stock, creamy white beans and lots of herbs. That’s the simple recipe for this Italian Kale and White Bean Soup.
This soup comes together in under an hour and is perfect for batch cooking to be frozen and enjoyed later. It’s packed with veggies and makes for a hearty and cozy soup - great for dinner on a cool fall evening.
Hi there! Below you’ll find affiliate links to great products that we enjoy using in our own kitchen.
Ready to make this seasonal Italian Kale and White Bean Soup? Let’s go!
1 - Prep veggies. Dice onions, mince garlic, chop carrots and celery, chop parsley, halve tomatoes and roughly chop kale.
2 - Saute. Heat oil in large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, celery and carrots. Saute for about 10 minutes or until onions are translucent. Remove the sausage casings and add the sausage to the pot, break into small pieces and saute for about 5 minutes.
3 - Boil. Add stock and water, bring to a boil.
4 - Simmer. Add white beans, bay leaf, parsley, rosemary, fennel, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Let simmer for about 10 minutes. Then add tomatoes and kale, remove from heat.
5 - Serve. Remove bay leaf and serve with a slice of bakery fresh bread. Enjoy!
Italian Kale and White Bean Soup: Tips, Tricks and Tools
Use homemade stock: Make your own stock with food scraps. Give those scraps a second life, save money and reduce packaging!
Batch cook, freeze later: Make a big batch of this soup and freeze it to enjoy later!
Make it plant-based: Omit sausage or use vegan sausage.
Recipe variations: Use chicken instead of sausage, try spinach instead of kale, if you don’t have fresh tomatoes, use a can of diced tomatoes instead.
We hope you love this hearty Italian Kale and White Bean Soup!
- A simple soup recipe that comes together in under an hour
- Great for meal prep and can be frozen to enjoy later
- A delicious seasonal soup that’s packed with veggies and it’s easily customizable
Did you enjoy this Italian Kale and White Bean Soup as much as we do?
Comment below! And rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out! Not cooking today? Save this Italian Kale and White Bean Soup for later by pinning it to your Soups and Stews Recipes Board and make sure to tag us at The Crooked Carrot Instagram to show us your Italian Kale and White Bean Soup creations!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Ernest Hemingway
Italian Kale & White Bean Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 onion (large) chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 carrots (medium) chopped
- 8 oz organic chicken sausage
- 4 cups stock chicken or vegetable
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 oz) white beans drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup parsley roughly chopped
- 1/2 tbsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- pepper to taste
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 bunch kale washed, dried, roughly chopped
- Cook: Heat large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add oil. Once oil is warm, add garlic, onions, celery and carrots and cook for about 10 minutes or until onions are translucent. Remove sausage casings, add to pot and break into small pieces, sauté about 5 minutes.
- Boil: Add stock and water, bring to a boil.
- Simmer: Add beans, bay leaf, parsley, rosemary, salt, fennel, red pepper flakes and pepper. Let simmer about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and kale, remove from heat.
- Eat up: Remove bay leaf before serving with a slice of bakery fresh bread. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Some of the links above are affiliate links. This means that should you purchase something through the link, The Crooked Carrot will receive a small commission. The item cost remains the same regardless of whether you purchase through our link or not. Any commission earned simply helps us continue to provide all our great content to you. From seasonal recipes to simple nutrition insights & sustainable zero waste tips, we have lots more to give!