Overnight Oats - an incredibly simple make-ahead oatmeal recipe that’s easily customizable. These oats are sure to become your new go-to breakfast.
Hi there! Below you’ll find affiliate links to great products that we enjoy using in our own kitchen.
Is your breakfast super rushed? Or non-existent? I understand. I’m not much of a morning person and would always rather get a couple extra minutes of sleep. This meant not much time for breakfast and running out of the house without breakfast. This was a constant struggle...until I discovered Overnight Oats.
These Overnight Oats are quick and simple to make. Just throw all your oatmeal ingredients in a pint-sized mason jar, stir, cover and refrigerate until morning. I typically heat it up in the morning, but it’s also great enjoyed cold.
A few minutes of work the night before will reward you with a nutrient-packed, ready-to-go breakfast.
- Get your morning dose of protein, healthy fats and fiber—a perfect combination for a balanced breakfast that’ll keep you going into lunch.
- Flax and nuts provides healthy fats—Omega 3’s—and fiber, which fills you up and comes with healthy benefits like reducing the risk of cancer, diabetes and many other chronic diseases.
- Oats—another whole grain—are packed with lots of wonderful fiber to keep you feeling fuller for longer.
These Overnight Oats will become your new go-to breakfast. No more skipping breakfast on those rushed mornings. They’re super fast to make, packed with nutrient-dense foods and make for a deliciously satisfying prep-ahead breakfast.
Ready to make these simple Overnight Oats? Let’s do it!
1 - Combine all the ingredients (oats, milk, fruit, nuts, flaxseed, chia seeds, spices and sweetener) in a mason jar or another container with a tight-fitting lid.
2 - Stir to combine, seal and refrigerate overnight up to 4 days. Note: you may need to add more liquid as it sits for longer. You can heat up the oatmeal in the microwave or eat it cold - either way is great. Enjoy!
Overnight Oats: Tips, Tricks and Tools
I like my oatmeal super creamy so I add the extra 2 tablespoons of milk (and sometimes more) in the morning. Adjust the liquid levels to reach your desired consistency, but just know the oatmeal will thicken overnight. I often add a bit more milk in the morning just before serving.
Tools: All you need is a mason jar or container to store the oatmeal overnight.
Fruit options: I generally add frozen berries, dried cranberries, sliced banana or a chopped apple or pear. But just about any fruit works - dried, fresh or frozen.
Make it vegan/dairy-free by using a nut-based or coconut milk, and use maple syrup instead of honey.
Variations: Add Greek yogurt, almond butter, or change it up with different fruit and nut combinations. I especially like dates, pecans and maple syrup. Also try it with apple butter instead of honey - I usually increase it to one tablespoon if I use apple butter.
Make it nut-free by using seeds like pepitas or sunflower seeds.
Make it gluten-free by using certified gluten-free oats.
We hope you love these quick and simple Overnight Oats!
Overnight Oats are super quick and simple to make. The perfect made-ahead breakfast for an easy morning.
Did you enjoy these Overnight Oats as much as we do?
Comment below! And rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out! Not making it today? Save this Overnight oats for later by pinning it to your Breakfast Recipes Board and make sure to tag us at The Crooked Carrot Instagram to show us your Overnight Oats creations!
"Good food is very often, even most often, simple food." - Anthony Bourdain
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup + 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons fruit dried, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons nuts (walnuts, pecans, cashews) chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ground flax
- 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon honey / agave / maple syrup
- cinnamon / nutmeg sprinkle
- Combine ingredients: Mix all ingredients in a mason jar or other container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Shake and seal: Shake or stir to combine. Seal and refrigerate overnight up to 4 days (more liquid may be needed if it sits longer). Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Some of the links above are affiliate links. This means that should you purchase something through the link, The Crooked Carrot will receive a small commission. The item cost remains the same regardless of whether you purchase through our link or not. Any commission earned simply helps us continue to provide all our great content to you. From seasonal recipes to simple nutrition insights & sustainable zero waste tips, we have lots more to give!