Savory Rosemary Cheddar Muffins - A savory take on muffins! Featuring sweet potato, spinach, rosemary, garlic, sage and cheddar cheese. Warm, flavorful and a fresh take on your standard muffins.
Savory muffins. Strange concept, I know...but hear me out. These muffins are amazing. I mean, how could you go wrong with garlic and onions, sweet potato, spinach, herbs like rosemary and sage, cheddar cheese and little splash of umami-flavored soy sauce all wrapped up in a whole grain muffin? Yum!
These muffins are perfect for an easy to-go savory breakfast. Make it even heartier by adding a fried egg and avocado. These Savory Rosemary Cheddar Muffins come together in about an hour and are great for batch cooking - make a couple batches and freeze them to enjoy later!
Hi there! Below you’ll find affiliate links to great products that we enjoy using in our own kitchen.
Ready to make these Savory Rosemary Cheddar Muffins? Let’s go!
1 - Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease your muffin tin. You can use muffin liners, but I prefer to simply grease the cups with coconut or olive oil. Reduce your waste wherever possible!
2 - Prep the potatoes. Place the quartered potatoes in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender and mashable. Add olive oil to the potato and mash until smooth.
P.s. Don’t toss those potato skins! Roast them for a crunchy snack.
3 - Saute the onions with oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Once the onions are translucent, add garlic and spinach and saute until spinach is wilted, 1-2 minutes.
4 - Mix dry ingredients. In a large bowl, combine flour, flaxseed, rosemary, sage, salt, baking powder, baking soda and pepper.
5 - Mix wet ingredients. In a medium bowl, add egg and beat slightly, then add water/stock, soy sauce, cheese, sweet potato and onion/garlic/spinach mixture. Stir until combined.
6 - Combine the wet mixture to the flour mixture, stirring as you add, until mixed (don’t over mix!)
7 - Bake. Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, until full but not overflowing. Sprinkle a little cheese on top of each muffin and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!
Savory Rosemary Cheddar Muffins: Tips, Tricks and Tools
Scrappy cooking. This is a great recipe to use up those wilted greens and sprouted sweet potato! Also save those sweet potato skins - season and roast them for a crunchy potato skin snack.
Serve muffins as is, or add a fried egg and avocado for a heartier breakfast.
Make it gluten-free by using gluten-free flour and tamari instead of soy sauce.
Make it dairy-free by using nutritional yeast instead of cheese.
Freeze for later. I like to make a couple batches of these Savory Rosemary Cheddar Muffins and freeze them to enjoy later. Simple thaw them in the fridge or zap them in the microwave.
We hope you love these Savory Rosemary Cheddar Muffins!
Did you enjoy these Savory Rosemary Cheddar Muffins as much as we do?
Comment below! And rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out! Not cooking today? Save these Savory Rosemary Cheddar Muffins for later by pinning it to your Breakfast Recipes Board and make sure to tag us at The Crooked Carrot Instagram to show us your Savory Rosemary Cheddar Muffins creations!
"The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it." - Robert Swan
Savory Rosemary Cheddar Muffins
- 1 sweet potato (medium - about 1 cup) roughly peeled, quartered
- 2 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ bunch spinach washed, dried, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon sage fresh
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- pepper a sprinkle
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups water / stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari / coconut aminos / liquid aminos
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded, plus extra to sprinkle on top of muffins
- Preheat: Set oven to 350 degrees F, grease muffin tin.
- Prep potatoes: Place sweet potato in a microwave safe bowl, microwave on high for 10 minutes or until soft. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the bowl of potatoes and mash.
- Sauté: Heat medium skillet over medium-low heat, add remaining olive oil. Add onions to skillet and sauté 10 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add garlic and spinach, sauté until spinach is wilted, 1-2 minutes.
- Mix dry ingredients: In a large bowl, combine flour, flax, rosemary, sage, salt, baking powder, baking soda and pepper.
- Mix wet ingredients: In a medium bowl, add egg and beat slightly, then add water, soy sauce, cheese, sweet potato and onion, garlic, spinach mixture.
- Mix all ingredients: Slowly add the egg-vegetable mixture to the flour mixture, stirring as you add, until thoroughly combined (don’t over mix!)
- Bake: Spoon batter into muffin tins filling until full, but not overflowing. Sprinkle a little cheese on the top of each muffin. Bake muffins for 25-30 minutes, or until muffins are brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Some of the links above are affiliate links. This means that should you purchase something through the link, The Crooked Carrot will receive a small commission. The item cost remains the same regardless of whether you purchase through our link or not. Any commission earned simply helps us continue to provide all our great content to you. From seasonal recipes to simple nutrition insights & sustainable zero waste tips, we have lots more to give!