Roasted Squash Seeds - a simple vegan snack that uses up those squash seeds that typically get thrown out. These crunchy bites are a great protein-filled snack for any occasion.
Have you ever roasted squash seeds before? You know those seeds from pumpkin, butternut, and acorn squash? Honestly, I didn’t even know you could (well aside from pumpkin seeds when carving pumpkins), so I always just threw them away. But now that I know how delicious they are!
It turns out that they’re very easy to make as well. They make for a great snack! Or try them as a salad or yogurt topping!
Now, whenever I’m building a meal with winter squash, I separate out the seeds and pop them in the oven. The result are some yummy squash seeds to snack on!
Hi there! Below you’ll find affiliate links to great products that we enjoy using in our own kitchen.
Ready to make these easy Roasted Squash Seeds? Let’s go!
1 - Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
2 - Remove the seeds from your squash, wash, and pat dry. Those stubborn strings of squash are easy to remove when you rinse the seeds in a
Then place the seeds in a small bowl and drizzle with oil. Now you’ll add your seasons of choice and stir to combine. Check out the tips below for some of my favorite seasoning combinations.
3 - Bake seeds: Spread the seeds out in a single layer on a
4 - Let them cool and enjoy!
Roasted Squash Seeds: Tips, Tricks, and Tools
Winter squash is best for these Roasted Squash Seeds. Types of winter squash include butternut, pumpkin, and acorn squash, but feel free to try other winter squash varieties that have hard seeds (i.e. not like zucchini seeds).
Seasoning Variations: Go simple with just salt and pepper. You could go for a sweet variation with cinnamon, nutmeg and a sprinkle of brown sugar OR try spicy with chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and a bit of cayenne.
You could also try an herb spice blend with rosemary, thyme and dried oregano, OR go for earthy (my favorite!) with turmeric, salt, pepper and a drizzle of lime juice!
We hope you love Easy Roasted Squash Seeds!
- A perfect way to use those squash seeds that would otherwise be thrown away.
- A great protein-filled snack that will surely satisfy your desire for something crunchy!
Did you enjoy these easy Roasted Squash Seeds as much as we do?
Comment below! And rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out! Not making them today? Save these Roasted Squash Seeds for later by pinning it to your Snack Board and make sure to tag us at The Crooked Carrot Instagram to show us your Roasted Squash Seed creations!
"We are trashing our land to grow food that no one eats." - Tristram Stuart
Roasted Squash Seeds
- squash seeds from pumpkin, acorn squash, butternut squash, etc
- 1 teaspoon oil (olive, coconut, etc) per ½ cup seeds
- simple - salt + pepper
- sweet - cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar
- spicy - chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne
- herbed - rosemary, thyme, dried oregano
- earthy - turmeric, salt, pepper, lime juice my favorite!
- Preheat: Set oven to 275 degrees F.
- Prep: Remove seeds from flesh, clean seeds, wash thoroughly, pat dry. Place seeds in bowl and drizzle with oil. Add seasonings and stir until well-coated.
- Bake: Spread coated seeds on lined baking sheet, ideally with reusable baking mat. Roast for 20-35 minutes, stirring after about 15 minutes. Keep a close eye on them during the last 10-15 minutes so they don’t burn!
- Crunch time: Let cool then enjoy immediately or store in an air-tight container!
Disclaimer: Some of the links above are affiliate links. This means that should you purchase something through the link, The Crooked Carrot will receive a small commission. The item cost remains the same regardless of whether you purchase through our link or not. Any commission earned simply helps us continue to provide all our great content to you. From seasonal recipes to simple nutrition insights & sustainable zero waste tips, we have lots more to give!