Roasted Vegetable and Farro Salad - a hearty roasted vegetable salad with chewy farro and a parsley pesto. Perfect for a veggie-based main dish or side salad.
Thanksgiving is quite possibly my favorite holiday. Family, friends, food. What more could one ask for? I love Thanksgiving because it really is about the people around you. There are no gifts or fireworks, just being grateful for loved ones gathered around you (and the ones you wish were around). And the wonderful food we’ve been blessed to enjoy!
I made a Roasted Vegetable and Farro Salad this past Thanksgiving and it was a hit! Fall-inspired, featuring roasted carrots, cauliflower, red pepper, fennel and red onion with added Mediterranean flavors from artichokes, capers and chickpeas.
This Roasted Vegetable and Farro Salad is a flavorful salad that makes for a great side dish or a simple weeknight dinner.
Hi there! Below you’ll find affiliate links to great products that we enjoy using in our own kitchen.
Ready to make this fall-inspired Roasted Vegetable and Farro Salad? Let’s go!
1 - Cook farro: Combine farro and water in a medium pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil and let simmer until tender, about 60 minutes.
2 - Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut up vegetables.
3 - Roast veggies. Spread carrots, cauliflower, red pepper, fennel, red onion and garlic out in a single layer on a large lined baking sheet. You may need to use two baking sheets. Drizzle with ¼ cup olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast 45-60 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender. During the final 10-15 minutes, add chickpeas and artichokes. After roasting, remove garlic and mince.
4 - Prepare Pesto. Add parsley, fennel fronds, garlic, red wine vinegar and red pepper flakes to a food processor. Pulse until it becomes a puree. While it’s running, slowly add olive oil until it’s fully combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5 - Serve. Combine farro, roasted vegetables/chickpeas, capers and parsley pesto. Enjoy!
Roasted Vegetable and Farro Salad: Tips, Tricks and Tools
Save those fennel fronds. They’re super flavorful and are a great addition to the parsley pesto.
Variations: Use whatever veggies you have on hand. This salad recipe is easily adaptable to what you have available.
Save your scraps. Those carrot ends, red pepper scraps, celery leaves and fennel ends are a fantastic addition to homemade stock.
Whole Grains: Farro is a chewy and nutty whole grain that provides loads of fiber, zinc and vitamin B3. Check out our Whole Grains Post for more insight on whole grains.
We hope you love this Roasted Vegetable and Farro Salad!
Did you enjoy this Roasted Vegetable and Farro Salad as much as we do?
Comment below! And rate the recipe to let us know how it turned out! Not cooking today? Save this Roasted Vegetable and Farro Salad for later by pinning it to your Fall Recipes Board and make sure to tag us at The Crooked Carrot Instagram to show us your Roasted Vegetable and Farro Salad creations!
"Gratitude is riches. Complaint is poverty." - Doris Day
Roasted Vegetables and Farro Salad
- 1 cup farro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 carrots cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/2 red pepper (large) sliced
- 1 fennel bulb and stalk sliced, save the fronds for the pesto
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic keep whole
- 1 12-oz jar artichokes
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup capers
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1 cup parsley wash and pat dry
- 1/2 cup fennel fronds
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt + pepper to taste
- Boil: Combine farro and water in a medium pot over medium heat. Bring farro to a boil and let simmer about 60 minutes, or until tender.
- Roast: Preheat oven at 425 degrees F. Spread carrots, cauliflower, red pepper, fennel, red onion and garlic in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with 1/4 cup olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast 45-60 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. During final 10-15 minutes, add chickpeas and artichokes. After roasting, remove garlic and mince.
- Prepare Pesto: In a food processor/blender, combine parsley, fennel fronds, garlic, red wine vinegar and red pepper flakes. Pulse until combined, slowly add olive oil while food processor is running until fully combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve: In a large bowl, combine farro, roasted vegetables/chickpeas, capers and parsley pesto. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Some of the links above are affiliate links. This means that should you purchase something through the link, The Crooked Carrot will receive a small commission. The item cost remains the same regardless of whether you purchase through our link or not. Any commission earned simply helps us continue to provide all our great content to you. From seasonal recipes to simple nutrition insights & sustainable zero waste tips, we have lots more to give!